Marketcircle    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Daylite  Hop To Forums  Using Daylite    Since Daylite cannot export to Google Calendar...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Since Daylite cannot export to Google Calendar...
 Login/Join

Veteran
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theMikeD:
quote:
Originally posted by Don Morris:
Yes. There is a better workaround for your point #1 above. Remember, #1 is a failing of Google, not Daylite.

Thanks for the workaround, but I'm not sure how this is gGoogles fault. My iPhone app CalenGoo doesn't seem to have any problem with bi-directional syncs so I'm confused about how it's a Google issue.

quote:

#2: Admittedly, a failing of Daylite.

#3: A failing of Google.

Hopefully a solution will be found by SOMEone smile

quote:

#4: That's just the way it is -- and the way it should be. I do not want Daylite to provide a unauthenticated feed of any of my data at any time.

IYHO right? That's great for you, and by the bold font I can tell you feel strongly about it. I prefer to make the choice myself.

quote:

You see Daylite as 25% there, but it will never be 100% without Google fixing their end. If this is really something you need, why are you still messing around with Google when there are at least two alternatives previously mentioned in this thread that will get you to 75%?

I have been using Google a lot longer than Daylite, and that history is not something I want to give up. Besides, I bought Daylite to make my life easier, not harder.

Honestly I don't think it's too much of a request to have the scheduling portion of this app work with the calendar system with a nearly-decade long pedigree made by one of the largest companies in the world. Yes, Google doesn't do some of th things it should, but other solutions have found ways to make it work.

Hmmm, a nearly decade long pedigree vs. Daylite which has been in existence for over a decade.

The main thing you should be looking at is that Daylite is now using CalDAV and CardDAV, two industry STANDARDS. Google is not supporting these standards 100%. Yes there may be other solutions but my guess is that they fall into the category of cute little hack utilities, and not an product with the level of sophistication of Daylite. I personally never trust these types of utilities because there is no assurance that they will be around tomorrow.

And the chances are that they are not designed to work in a multiuser environment like Daylite.

As for your history that resides in Google, who says you need to give it up? Start fresh with Daylite, keep your previous history in Google and refer to it when necessary. I used a combination of tools before I started using Daylite 8 1/2 years ago. I would be surprised if I ever went back and looked at that data and I didn't migrate any of it to Daylite. Although you may require it, most people when they truly analyse things discover that they don't need access to much more than a few month's history.

There is a long list of new features I want to see incorporated into future releases of Daylite. I personally don't want to see valuable development resources being taken up trying to make Daylite work with something that doesn't support industry standards like mot other applications do. This may seem harsh to you, but the reality is that there is probably a much larger percentage of users that are in agreement with me. Marketcircle must use their development resources to address the needs of the greater majority.

Steve Smith

Oakbridge Information Solutions
Email: ssmith@oakbridge.ca
Web: www.oakbridge.ca

Certified DayLite Master Partner
Member: FileMaker Business Alliance

Posts: 1645 | Location: Oakville, ON | Registered: June 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro
posted Hide Post
We can point fingers at the various companies and their lack of standards. Or we can try to find a work-around until one or both smarten up. The latter is the point of this thread. The former is a waste of time.

So lets try to get this thread back on the topic of finding a solution, rather than why a solution isn't or shouldn't be needed (neither of which are not helpful).

...Mike

Posts: 116 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro
posted Hide Post
I tried BusyCal tonight, and I think it'll do for now.

So right now I have
Daylite ->{via BusyCal}-> Google (read only)
Google -> {via private calendar ICS} -> Daylite (read only)

So now, finally, my wife can see my schedule, and I can see hers. It's read only of course but it's a start.

Thanks for the instruction link Don.

...Mike

Posts: 116 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
quote:
Daylite ->{via BusyCal}-> Google (read only)

How are you republishing the Daylite calendar through BusyCal? I looked at it again just now and couldn't see how I'd do that.

By the way, I edited my post above to correct a mistake.

Don Morris

Daylite Certified Expert • www.dminsights.net
Implementation, Training, Support, Customization

Posts: 2687 | Location: Southern California, serving clients world-wide | Registered: January 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro
posted Hide Post
Heres what I did.

Start BusyCal

1. Set up BusyCal to read/write to Google:
a. Calendar, Connect to Google. Give login creds etc etc. That loads all my Google calendars into BusyCal

2. Set up BusyCal to read Daylite
a. Calendar, Connect to iCloud/CalDAV. Give login creds and append ":6185" to the end of the server address (thanks for that tip Don). That loads the Daylite calendar RO into BusyCal.

So now in the left sidebar of BusyCal there are two entries: "Daylite" and "email@gmail.com"
Right-click the "Daylite" entry and select "Publish to Google"

Now open a web browser and you'll see "Daylite" listed under My Calendars. From there, I just made it available to my wife, and now she can see my sched.

...Mike

Veteran
posted Hide Post
Wow! I had no idea, because I don't use Google calendar regularly and hadn't added it to BusyCal. It's only after connecting GC to BC that you can do that.

Don Morris

Posts: 2687 | Location: Southern California, serving clients world-wide | Registered: January 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
If you rely on this, don't upgrade to the just-announced BusyCal 2:

quote:
from BusyMac support:
You can still subscribe to calendars hosted on Google, but you can no longer publish calendars to Google. This means you cannot publish local calendars, iCloud calendars, or Exchange calendars to Google. If you are currently publishing local calendars to Google, you should host your calendars on Google and subscribe to them instead.

When you upgrade to BusyCal 2, any calendars that you are publishing to Google will be unpublished and removed from Google.

Don Morris

Pro
posted Hide Post
Well that's perfect.

Pro
posted Hide Post
Looks like 4.1 doesn't play well with BusyCal...suddenly it can't connect. This is well beyond irritating.

Veteran
posted Hide Post
Mike, you might take a look at my instructions again -- I've updated them for 4.1.

Don Morris

Pro
posted Hide Post
kick ***, Don. Thanks.

Apprentice
posted Hide Post
BusyCal interacts seamlessly with Google Calendar. Make/Delete/accept/edit appointments all sync perfectly and fast! Just now investigating DL4 after "taking a break" from DL3 after several years.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: December 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post