Marketcircle    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Daylite  Hop To Forums  Using CalDAV & CardDAV    Syncing Daylite Cal to Google Cal
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Syncing Daylite Cal to Google Cal
 Login/Join

Apprentice
posted
I have been using daylite for the last couple of weeks, but have been unable to figure out how to get my daylite calendar to show up (or sync) on my Google Cal - so I have can see on my Android phone.

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
See here.

Don Morris

Daylite Certified Expert • www.dminsights.net
Implementation, Training, Support, Customization

Posts: 2687 | Location: Southern California, serving clients world-wide | Registered: January 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Apprentice
posted Hide Post
Don - thanks - took a couple to find the old version of BusyCal (on BusyCal site under help section). Once set up - works well so far. Solved a big frustration.

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marketcircle Team
Picture of Scott Stevenson
posted Hide Post
Great news, just to add to this thread for others possibly having issues with Google calendars.

Some common things to watch out for.

Google accounts with two-factor authentication enabled; require a single one time password generating for a sync account. More information on Google's two factor authentication can be found here:
http://support.google.com/acco...?hl=en&answer=180744

Also, note that when changing a Google password, be sure to update all your devices with the new password.
A device still configured with an old password can alert Google's captcha 'human detection' system by persistently attempting to logon in the background to Google services with an incorrect password.

The only way around this, or if you think this might be an issue. Log into your Google account from a web browser instead of the iCal/Calendar application.
The chances are you'll be asked to enter in specific digits from a human only readable graphic. Once this is passed, normal operation should resume.

Incidentally, we have no way of detecting when Google requires a captcha response. This makes it impossible for us to give our customers any prompt or feedback.
It is a necessary mechanism though and further detail can be found on Google's support page here:
http://support.google.com/a/bi...hl=en&answer=1217728

Posts: 138 | Location: Markham, Canada | Registered: September 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Apprentice
posted Hide Post
Being able to publish a DL calendar to Google is a big enough issue that I may well trash this whole application over it. It would be cheaper than buying everyone in my sales force a MAC. WHEN WILL THERE BE A DEFINITIVE RESOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM?

Posts: 12 | Registered: June 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Seems pretty definitive to me. Daylite 4 uses CalDAV to "publish" a calendar. Google has yet to fully implement CalDAV. To get the two to meet, you need an intermediary like BusyCal (see above).

Don Morris

Posts: 2687 | Location: Southern California, serving clients world-wide | Registered: January 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Apprentice
posted Hide Post
With all due respect, you need a no longer sold and no longer supported intermediary. That is not a solution. I'd be happy to just publish to I-Cloud, but that isn't trivial either.

Apprentice
posted Hide Post
For the sake of clarity I want to publish to the icloud web interface...

quote:
Originally posted by tomfitzphilly:
With all due respect, you need a no longer sold and no longer supported intermediary. That is not a solution. I'd be happy to just publish to I-Cloud, but that isn't trivial either.

Veteran
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the sake of clarity I want to publish to the icloud web interface...

Why?

Don Morris

Apprentice
posted Hide Post
I have sales people who, while in active conversation with a prospect, need to be able to look at a local manager's published calendar and see that they are free on XXX-day afternoon and so that they can book that time for an appointment with a potential customer.

Veteran
posted Hide Post
Are these sales people using Daylite? I'm not as well-versed in using DL in a multi-user situation, but there should be permissions that allow the sales people to see the manager's calendar.

Don Morris

Apprentice
posted Hide Post
No, they are not. If they were if would be pretty easy. That's why I want to publish to a public calendar program.

Veteran
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, they are not. If they were if would be pretty easy. That's why I want to publish to a public calendar program.

If these other users are using iCal, or what is now known as Apple's Calendar app, they can follow the instructions to set up to subscribe to that user's Daylite Calendar. They can add new appointments to that calendar as well but they must make sure that they are adding the appointment to the Daylite calendar (or one of the Daylite category calendars if that option is being used).

As Don has clarified, Google has not implemented the function of subscribing to CalDAV calendars.

Steve Smith

Oakbridge Information Solutions
Email: ssmith@oakbridge.ca
Web: www.oakbridge.ca

Certified DayLite Master Partner
Member: FileMaker Business Alliance

Posts: 1645 | Location: Oakville, ON | Registered: June 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Okay, as I see it you have several options:

• Pony up for 1 license of Daylite for every user that needs to access the calendar. If they don't have a Mac, then an iPhone or iPad will do. But Daylite no longer supports Apple's now-deprecated Sync Services.
  • Use a previously-purchased copy of BusyCal 1.6.4 to republish Daylite's CalDAV feed to Google. Version 2.0 no longer supports republishing a calendar to Google Calendar. Or Sync Services.
  • Use Spanning Sync to do the same thing, if you still have a valid subscription (the service will end June 19, 2013). New subscriptions are no longer sold, because of Apple's move away from Sync Services and a dwindling need for third-party syncing between Macs and Google Calendar.
  • Do some research and find some other solution that will take a CalDAV feed and either republish it to Google or at least create a single iCal/iCalendar (.ics) file that Google can subscribe to. I've done some fairly extensive investigation on my own, but I could have missed something.
  • Write your own.
  • Print paper calendars or PDFs and distribute those schedules as needed.
  • Ask Google to provide full CalDAV support. Currently, although you can subscribe to a Google CalDAV feed, you cannot use Google Calendar to subscribe to an external CalDAV server.
  • Ask Marketcircle to allow Daylite to publish a unauthenticated calendar in .ics format for use in apps or services that haven't yet upgraded to CalDAV.

Don Morris

Apprentice
posted Hide Post
All,

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. Apparently this is a non-trivial problem, and perhaps I am the only person with an issue.

Don, you left out one option: Trash my investment in Daylite (both time and money) and move to an online CRM - pay for the core users and get the others a courtesy account.

Thanks again all.